Friday, November 7, 2008

Michael Crichton (October 23, 1942 – November 4, 2008) - The greatest!

It was a warm sunny afternoon in the streets of Nanganallur, a well developed temple suburb of Chennai city. I was scooting down college road with the shops lined on either side of me. As i passed by the savories shop i slowed down a bit wondering if i should stop for a bite. But something told me to keep going and i reached my public lending library. It was a shop around the corner and i ran inside to the Crichton section while i threw my old books near the librarian. I had just finished reading "The Terminal Man" and i was excited to read the next book of his. A few years ago i had watched Jurassic Park and had read the book later that year. Michael Crichton had changed my reading material forever and i got out of the boyish adventure novels like Hardy Boys, The 3 investigators and started reading thriller novels. With the next novel of his in my hand and with a few Archies, which i always used as buffer material in case i ran out of mainstream novels, i ran to the friendly librarian and back home. I passed the savories shop yet again but not even turning to look at it because i had the greatest treasure in my hand. Michael Crichton is one of the greatest and will be remembered for ages to come.

No comments: